This is a low-carb, low-calorie version of a lemon ricotta Italian Easter pie. This is a crustless "pie", but is very similar in flavor and texture (minus the crust). Whole milk ricotta is preferred for this recipe. Part-skim can be used, but the pie comes out grainier and more crumbly.
- 1 lb whole milk ricotta cheese (a 15-oz container works fine)
- 3 eggs
- Juice and grated zest of one medium lemon
- Sugar substitute to equal 2/3 cup of sugar - liquid preferred (see link below)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash of salt
1. Separate the eggs, and beat the whites until soft peaks form.
2. Combine the egg yolks and the rest of the ingredients. Taste to see if it's lemony enough, as some lemons are "dryer" and have less juice (average is about 3 tablespoons of juice for a medium lemon). You can add half a teaspoon of lemon extract, or more lemon juice to taste.
3. Fold egg whites into the mixture and spread in a well-buttered pie pan.
Bake until barely set in the middle (a toothpick will come out clean or almost so) about 25 minutes. Chill completely before serving; about 90 minutes.
Serve plain, or with a berry topping such as this strawberry topping or this berry syrup. Sugar-Free Lemon Curd also makes a good topping.
Nutritional Information: Each of 8 servings has 2 grams effective carbohydrate plus 8 grams protein, and 123 calories.