Thursday, June 2, 2011

CHICKEN N' DUMPLINGS


I feel like every person should allow themselves pure and delicious comfort food once in a while. This meal is one of mine. (Those I've shared it with say it's the best Chicken n' Dumplings they've ever had!) I throw caution to the wind and just enjoy.

I got this basic recipe so long ago I can't remember who I got it from. I changed several things about it and added things I like, so I'm declaring this recipe MY OWN CREATION. :o)

This recipe is enough to feed 12-18 people. It’s great to make for large groups or if you are taking a meal to a friend. (Or, you can just cut everything in half.) Easy and delicious!


Ingredients:

  • 2-3 Tbsp coconut or olive oil
  • 1 Onion chopped
  • 2 ½-3 Large Chicken Breast, cubed
  • 2 Tbsp Curry Powder
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • 9 Ribs Celery – chopped
  • 7 Carrots (I cut mine long and thin.)
  • 3 (10.5 oz) cans of Cream of Celery
  • 3 (10.5 oz) cans of Cream of Chicken
  • 48 oz. Chicken Broth
  • 4 Bay Leaves
  • 4 Garlic Cloves crushed (more if you like garlic)
  • 3-4 small cans of refrigerated biscuits. (I like a little byte of dumplings in each spoonful. If you don’t require that much, then add less biscuits.)
  • ¾ Cup Cilantro – chopped


Directions:

  1. In a large/deep pot, heat oil.
  2. Add onion and cook for 2-3 minutes.
  3. Stir in chicken, salt, pepper and curry powder and cook for 3-4 minutes.
  4. Mix in celery, carrots, and cream of celery, cream of chicken and chicken broth. Bring soup to a simmer.
  5. Add bay leaves, and crushed garlic.
  6. Open the cans of refrigerated biscuits one at a time. Start tearing off pieces of each biscuit and drop in into the soup mixture. I like small (quarter size) pieces of dumplings so I can get a little bit in each byte. If you like larger dumplings then go for it.
  7. Continue tearing the biscuits until they are all in the pot. Stir the contents every few minutes to make sure the pieces of bread are not sticking together. NOTE: The dumplings will swell at first. After cooking a while they will shrink back down.
  8. After all of the biscuits are in the soup, let them cook for 10-15 minutes.
  9. When finished, pull the pot from the burner. Remove bay leaves. Stir in the cilantro.
  10. Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment