I feel like every person should allow themselves pure and delicious comfort food once in a while. This meal is one of mine. (Those I've shared it with say it's the best Chicken n' Dumplings they've ever had!) I throw caution to the wind and just enjoy.
I got this basic recipe so long ago I can't remember who I got it from. I changed several things about it and added things I like, so I'm declaring this recipe MY OWN CREATION. :o)
This recipe is enough to feed 12-18 people. It’s great to make for large groups or if you are taking a meal to a friend. (Or, you can just cut everything in half.) Easy and delicious!
- 2-3 Tbsp coconut or olive oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 ½-3 Large Chicken Breast, cubed
- 2 Tbsp Curry Powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 9 Ribs Celery – chopped
- 7 Carrots (I cut mine long and thin.)
- 3 (10.5 oz) cans of Cream of Celery
- 3 (10.5 oz) cans of Cream of Chicken
- 48 oz. Chicken Broth
- 4 Bay Leaves
- 4 Garlic Cloves crushed (more if you like garlic)
- 3-4 small cans of refrigerated biscuits. (I like a little byte of dumplings in each spoonful. If you don’t require that much, then add less biscuits.)
- ¾ Cup Cilantro – chopped
- In a large/deep pot, heat oil.
- Add onion and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in chicken, salt, pepper and curry powder and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Mix in celery, carrots, and cream of celery, cream of chicken and chicken broth. Bring soup to a simmer.
- Add bay leaves, and crushed garlic.
- Open the cans of refrigerated biscuits one at a time. Start tearing off pieces of each biscuit and drop in into the soup mixture. I like small (quarter size) pieces of dumplings so I can get a little bit in each byte. If you like larger dumplings then go for it.
- Continue tearing the biscuits until they are all in the pot. Stir the contents every few minutes to make sure the pieces of bread are not sticking together. NOTE: The dumplings will swell at first. After cooking a while they will shrink back down.
- After all of the biscuits are in the soup, let them cook for 10-15 minutes.
- When finished, pull the pot from the burner. Remove bay leaves. Stir in the cilantro.